“And a child shall lead them”. How many times have we heard that one? Well, in this case it’s true. According to WEAR in Pensacola, Tracy Durant said she remembered the fire safety tips she learned in school when her family’s Escambia County home caught on fire.. The fire broke out when Tracy’s 13-year-old cousin, Shemaiah, was cooking on the stove.
“It looked like when the stove was on and it came up top and then it kept getting bigger and bigger,” Tracy told WEAR of the flames. “I didn’t want us to get killed.”
Little Tracy’s parents weren’t home at the time, so she ran to a neighbor’s house for help, asking to use their phone to call the fire department. Everyone was able to escape the home, including Shemaiah and their 11-month-old cousin. Shemaiah was taken to a local hospital in serious condition but is expected to survive, WEAR reports.
Tracy’s grandmother told WEAR that the family is proud of Tracy. The little girl praised her teacher for her fire safety skills. “She said one day I would be a hero,” Tracy recalled. “I wanted to start practicing now.”
God bless little Tracy and her family. Please pray for them as they recover from this.
This story does remind us all to take inventory and ask if our family would be safe from fire. Do you have the basics of fire prevention like working smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher? Do you have a fire safety escape plan? If not, get one RIGHT HERE.
As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Just ask little Tracy.